Thursday, September 30, 2010

Studium and Punctum


This picture represents Studium I think. The way the sun is shining on the water looks like glitter and seems almost mythical. It has beautiful colors and shapes and light, but there is nothing there to prick your attention to make it a Punctum photograph.

(me and my friend's legs at an old quarry we swam in)



This is a still frame from a film by Tsai Ming-Liang called The Hole (1998). To me, this is an example of punctum. This photo clearly possesses a lot of questions... I mean its a man in his underwear with a beer can? however, the punctum to me is the fact that there is a giant hole in his room and his leg is stuck in it. This is the part that "pierces" your thoughts. When I look at it I am drawn to it. I want to know why, how, what is on the other side and if u see his leg sticking through from the room below? 


I don't think I got this right. Maybe niether of them are punctum? Not sure, but I tried!

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like both of you photos and your choice. You forgot your name by the way. I feel like studium and punctum is still a very subjective definition even though there is a defined explanation. I think a studium photo to one person can be seen as punctum to another.

    -Yue

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all the different ways you play with light in the first photo -- both the spots glowing off the surface and the wavery lines across your legs where the light falls beneath the surface. It's a really lovely combination.

    (Also, I agree with Yue -- almost any photo can be either studium or punctum, depending on the viewer; I don't think identifying something as an example of punctum is really something you can get right or get wrong. Thanks for sharing these.)

    -- Kate

    ReplyDelete
  4. the first picture seems so mysterious... i mean i do have a very bad eyesight so i thought these were some creepy water animals..but they turned out to be legs!!!haha. so when i look closer i am also amazed by the colors and reflection there.

    my explanation of the second picture is this: the man's room is empty and he is only wearing tanks and underwear. i think this represents not only his loss of material comforts but also the desert in his mind and heart. and his feet is stuck in the hole, which is a metaphor of his situation: get stuck in life and no where to run.


    ----kaini

    ReplyDelete
  5. oops sorry!
    posted by:
    -Ashlee Dickson

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that the first photo you posted was one you took! It's a really cool photo, but like you said there isn't any kind of discourse or attention-getting factor that could make it "punctum."

    I think the second photo is definitely intriguing. First of all, the subject is sitting in underwear with their legs open. Second, one leg is in an awkward position and the other is seemingly stuck in the cement floor. It's really confusing and thought provoking, which I think "punctum" images should be.
    -Paige Skuse

    ReplyDelete