Tuesday, September 21, 2010

-John Filo


-Eliot Erwitt


- Gary Winogrand


I think all three of these images represent the concepts of Studium and Punctum especially in the first photo the photographer is witnessing a scene, a moment in history, and the punctum is the entire photograph just being completely shocking. The last picture is by an artist we studied, and I think that it captures multiple aspects of this moment in time, with the street and sidewalk splitting the picture into parts, and the side walk is broken down even more for the difference between the family and then the girls playing the game. They just happen to be there at the time the photo was taken.  And I just really like the 2nd photograph for several reasons. -Emily Schreiber

2 comments:

  1. What are the several reasons why you like the 2nd photo?

    I feel that the top and middle photo are puntum. Because the top photo is telling a very intense story of what I think is a man who has just been shot and his loved one is crying over him. I feel a very strong emotion from that woman in the top photo.

    For the middle photo, it is truly beautiful and exhibits essence of love. I like how their faces are seen through only a small circle and the water in the background is peaceful.
    -Tali Lekorenos

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally think the first photo could be better if there were more dramatic components there, say the contrast of the panic woman and the random people in the background who did not care at all. And it could be composed better. I would say there are more studium than punctum in this picture.

    The second picture appears as if a scene in some movie in the 60s. romance on the sea. Titanic? haha. It is quite sweet.


    KAINI

    ReplyDelete