Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Studium and Punctum

Punctum

Studium


The picture at the top is an example of punctum because the boy's face jumps out between the pieces of the wire fence, his eyes positioned in such a way that they almost seem to be staring at you.  The second picture is more of an example of studium because, although it is nice as is and a good representation of how the garment makers worked, there is nothing in it which really stands out.  However, I also understand that ideas of punctum and studium are highly subjective and that while I consider these pictures this way, others may not.  ~Jessica

3 comments:

  1. i think these are some pretty good examples of studium and punctum. the perspective of the first picture is so interesting. the white lines divide the picture into different parts but we still see that it as a whole.
    the second picture is just a form of documentation of people's life. it is nice in the presentation, but absolutely lacks artistic values.

    Kaini zhou

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first one is dead on punctum, I'm so drawn to the diamond shapes and the lines in front of his face. It creates 2 layers for the photo. The second one that you feel is studium, I agree. I don't get sparked by it, I think part of that is because the grays of the photo are all similar.

    Tali Lekorenos

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not really sure about what people say about those photos because studium and punctum are pretty subjective term. I feel like the first one is punctum being studium. Because what attract people most is the face in the center. Your eyes might go different part after, but the face is being punctum and also studium. And I actually attracted to the detail in the second photos, but don't think it is visual attractive as a whole picture and It does not give me spectacle and studium feeling looking at it.

    Anyway, they are both very interesting example!!

    -Yue

    ReplyDelete