Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Studium/Punctum

Herman Leonard was one of hte most iconic jazz photographers of his era. Although he took some very interesting photographs, most of them show the typical jazz scene of a smokey bar and close up of some musicians. I choose to show his work for this because his most famous photograph has a very prominent punctum in it, and it is his use of light (this punctum is what made it his most famous). The other photography shows studium because although it is an influential image of a recognizable man, there is nothing that stands out quite like the first image.







-Punctum















-Studium












-Eliza Dobbins

5 comments:

  1. The first image has such beautiful light!! I enjoy how 2 spotlights are shown rather than just one. I agree with you, with the 2nd photo..there is not much going on and I don't feel a strong emotion towards it. I feel like the 2nd photo is too light and the smoke doesn't stand out at all!
    -Tali Lekorenos

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like both of these photos, but I certainly agree that the first photo is much more striking and beautiful. It's reminding me of a shot I've seen in a movie, but unfortunately I can't remember the name of the movie right now. Still, the lighting in the first photo almost makes me feel as though the pianist is about to move, like I could push the play button and see him move. The second photo is nice, but certainly far less striking. ~Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that you chose two photographs by the same photographer to illustrate punctum and studium. I think the first photo is awesome-I love the spotlights and how everything else is dark. It creates a sense of secrecy or mystery that really works, especially with jazz music. While it's cool in the second photo how he captured the movement of the smoke, the first photo is definitely more striking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oops, I forgot to post my name above! Paige Skuse

    ReplyDelete
  5. i think the interesting thing about the first image is that the man is sitting on the stage but it seems that he has no audience. maybe he has, but the fact that he is so on the top makes him extremely lonely. maybe we could think something about life there in this picture.

    kaini

    ReplyDelete