Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Studium & Punctum



I feel this images is a good example of "punctum" being "studium." The fatness of this lady and the contrast between her body and the small swimwear is "punctum," but she is the main subject of this photograph and so her body is also "studium" of the photograph too.


This is another photo of "punctum" being "studium." People's attention will be attracted all the vail the subjects are wearing and it is "punctum" and "studium" at the same time. However "punctum" and "studium" can be qutie subjective. So "punctum" to some people might be the flag on the top or the black object that one of the person in the photo is carrying.


-Yue Nakayama

3 comments:

  1. I like the approach you took to this post, the way you got at the idea that the punctum can be a broad aspect of a photograph rather than always just a small detail. (And I definitely agree with you about it all being subjective.)

    -- Kate Morley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness, the one with the veils is so intriguing to view. I don't know what's going on the photo, but I feel sad looking at it. The veils are really drawing me in, and then I look at the flags and the buildings in the distance. Like I said, I do not know the story behind the photo, but I think of the Concentration camps when I view it and get a very strong sad feeling.
    Tali Lekorenos

    ReplyDelete
  3. the massive number of veils in the second picture are in such a sharp contrast with the buildings in the background, as if telling the conflicts of the traditions and the modernity, religion and technology. this is a picture that could really make people think.

    KAINI <3

    ReplyDelete