Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Lovely Photos

Detail Image

Rachel Perry Welty, "Lost in My Life, 2010", 56 x 35 inch Archival pigment print, Edition of 6
I find this image very interesting because I love how it makes you're eyes really search, and focus on what you're looking at. I also really like how one's perception of depth is put to the test, because of the repeating pattern. The repetition makes everything blend together, and unless one searches for the bottom of the female's dress, it would never be found at first glance.
I also really like the vibrant colors that are presented in the photo. The colors are very warm, and have they have a great feel to them. But the white surrounding the colors gives the image a distant feel to it.



Adam Fuss: My Ghost 2001
This photo is crazy interesting because there's so much in it. Smoke always makes very interesting photographs because it creates so many different tones, shadows, and depths. I really like the way different depths are created through the lighting from the smoke. Also after studying the image you can start to see items in the smoke. I also feel like the image being in black and white really adds to it. I feel like if it were in color, you would not be able to see everything that the image offers.

6 comments:

  1. The picture of the smoke is very fascinating. it captures a static moment in some kind of motion. Smoke always gives me mysterious feeling, because in my culture we burn fake paper money and candles to the dead, so the picture also somehow means death to me, or any kind of supernature. In addition, the fact that it's black and white added more seriousness to the tone.

    - Kaini Zhou

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great choices of artists. Both interesting images from a conceptual point of view, and also technically. The abstraction of the smoke image becomes reminiscent of clouds, water, painting/drawing....
    saw

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely agree with you that the second photograph's impact would have been lessened if it had been taken in color. But I also think it's interesting that one of the things that makes that true -- the way that color can distract from texture, line, and shape (which would have made it harder to make out all the different little whorls and thicknesses in the smoke) -- is the same thing that makes the first photograph seem like it only works as well as it does *because* it's in color. I think if it were in black and white, the line of the woman's dress would be easier to distinguish from the wall, and her head wouldn't float out as jarringly (as the only object in the picture that's a different color than everything else). Without color, the photo would lose a lot of what makes it so disorienting and so interesting.

    Thank you for posting these; I really enjoyed looking at them.

    -- Kate Morley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you guys know Adam Fuss's ghostly little girl's dresses?
    Check that out too. It's really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zhouge thinking the way you talked about it makes the piece way deeper.

    ReplyDelete
  6. and Adam Fuss's stuff did look dreamily deadly!

    ReplyDelete