Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Lipstick


When we were given this assignment and I went back and thought about it, I quickly thought of this photograph that I saw hanging up in my friend's room years ago. The thing that I thought was interesting is that when remembering the photo, I had no recollection of that man being there in the background. It wasn't until seeing it again that I remembered...obviously it was because the woman is the main focus of the picture. A lot of people wrote about liking black and white photography and for me it's not so much that I like or prefer black and white, but something about it just makes the photo seem more authentic or something. I like that the woman is doing something in the picture that is adding color to her appearance, and yet there is no color in the photo.

The more I look at this photograph, I keep thinking about new things that it could represent and I think that's what makes a photograph more interesting...if it keeps you guessing. I guess it's possible that the man could be looking at her put her makeup on...or looking because she is wearing a dress and her legs are open...not to have dirty mind!

Grace Kaminski

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny that you say that, because the guy was actually the first part of the photograph that I noticed. I feel like the picture is very seductive, not that I'm dirty minded too. But the way that both of them are sitting with their legs open, he is watching her complete a womanly everyday task; that men hardly ever watch women do. Which almost suggests how much he adores her, even in her simplest attire and putting on make up.

    I really enjoy the photograph, and like how in can be interpreted differently, but like you I am also drawn to it as well.

    -Tali Lekorenos

    ReplyDelete
  3. SEDUCTIVE!! but in an artist way.
    Like you said, the way the woman put her legs and the half-naked guy make people think "dirty". However, i think the most interesting thing is that the man is watching the woman putting on lipstick, which is a very personal transformation from a “home” sexiness to a "cocktail-party" sexiness. This shows the intimacy of these two people.
    very interesting picture, besides its in black-and-white, the most seemingly boring two colors. and yet it's sexy.

    Kaini Zhou

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think what makes this photo interesting is woman's posing. Putting lipstick and two legs open. It's so interesting that this "rude" posing makes her chic and sexy. The guy in the back definitely add more atmosphere and make the photo more dirty and interesting. I really like dirty, erotic, but cute photos like this one.

    -Yue

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with everyone about the feeling of this photo being seductive or sexy, but i'm not sure that i think it is purposely done that way. It's definitely one of those quietly suggestive photos that just puts people on the edge of their seat, like in a movie when you want something to happen and you're waiting for it.

    -Miaja St. Martin

    ReplyDelete