Monday, August 30, 2010

Dali Atomicus (1948)


"Dali Atomicus" by Philippe Halsman
I find this photograph very interesting due to the movement the photo possesses. Philippe Halsman developed what he called "jumpology". It was the thought that when you ask a person to jump most of their attention is put on the act of jumping and therefore who that person really is, is displayed. I think that Halsman's work incorporating his psychology aspects with photography lead to very interesting images.
-Eliza Dobbins

2 comments:

  1. Looking at this picture, at first I didn't like it. Sorry, that's not to offend your taste in anyway. But now that I keep looking at it, I think Alice in Wonderland and the scene in Mary Poppins when they are floating up too the ceiling and drinking tea. Now that I can associate the photo with things that I like, I have a more intense feeling and likeness for the picture. I like how some of the picture looks like it is a cartoon drawing, which I think comes from the strong-ness of the shadows.

    :) Tali Lekorenos

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this photo is a little bizarre but I also associate it with Mary Poppins so it makes me smile. I think it is a good example of how a photograph can suspend truth even though it is supposed to be an image of exactly what you see in reality. Obviously there is no way all of those things could be happening at once or chairs could be floating. It's a good photo.
    -Sara Bencic

    ReplyDelete