Monday, October 4, 2010

Studium and Punctum

I really liked Sally Mann's photos, and found one to use as an example for "punctum." I found a photo with similar subjects also in black and white to use for a "studium" example.
Since Sally Mann frequently photographed her daughters in black and white, I thought this photo would be a good example of my interpretation of "studium." It's a cute photo of three little girls, and probably has more meaning to whoever took the photo or knows the girls. While it's sweet, it does not strike you like "punctum" should.

I had seen this Sally Mann photo many times before, but didn't know anything about her until we learned about her in class. This photo is so striking because it is a young girl holding a cigarette. Although it is a candy cigarette, the image of a child holding a cigarette is really striking and pushes some limits. The contrast between the white of her dress and hair with the rich black background is striking, and for me this photo represents "punctum."

-Paige Skuse

6 comments:

  1. I really like how you applied studium and punctum to Sally Mann's work. I agree with you on both pictures and enjoyed your analysis of the bottom photo.
    -Belkis

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the way you juxtaposed these two photos makes for a really effective illustration of studium vs. punctum. And the second photo is so striking, both for the girl in the foreground and the headless figure in the background. Thanks for sharing it -- I'm glad I got a chance to see it.

    -- Kate

    ReplyDelete
  3. i really like these two pictures. i agree the second one is striking in that the girl is holding a cigarette and the desperation and helpless in her eyes are just so attractive in some sense.
    the first one is lovely too. the texture of the girls' hair illustrated by the high contrast is absolutely stunning.

    ---kaini zhou

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the bottom photo, it's very adult yet childish at the same time. I enjoy that there are only 3 subjects in the frame and that the man on the stilts is blurry
    -Tali Lekorenos

    ReplyDelete
  5. For me, the most fascinating aspect of the second photo is the blase expression on the girl's face. It's not just that she's holding a cigarette, she's holding it as if she smokes cigarettes every day. The disembodied figure in the distance and the small girl beside the smoker, with her defiant stance, tell their own stories. It's hard to believe these are really children. For what are ostensibly candid shots, both photos are remarkably posed and composed, but I feel the second photo in particular demonstrates the raw talent of the photographer.

    -Roger Wieand

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like these photos, they are really interestingly composed, and I find it very amusing that the little girl in the bottom photo is smoking a cigarette.
    Chelsea A.

    ReplyDelete