Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Strobist Assignment

I went into this project knowing nothing about the strobist kit and unsure of what I wanted except that I wanted to have fun with it, so I invited a bunch of my friends to come for a few hours of picture-taking and I told them to bring whatever props they wanted to play around with. I ended up with a whole bunch of pictures that I really loved, but in the interest of space I am only including a few below.


The picture above was taken with the flash to the left of the photo, with a low-powered diffused fill light (1/32) coming from the right.  I love the slightly dark tone of the picture, as well as the shadow behind her.


This second picture was taken outside at night, and it took me a while to get it the way I wanted it.  The flashbulbs are positioned behind the two subjects, and the umbrella diffuses the light just enough to get the effect I wanted.  I found that simply putting the umbrella on the flash stand illuminated more of the ground behind the subjects than the subjects themselves, but was really happy with this particular effect.  It's tough to get the full effect in the small version on the blog, but zooming in might help.

~Jessica Mazur

4 comments:

  1. I really like the photo with the umbrella! I especially love how the shadow figure is haloed by the light, creating almost a silhouette or outline.
    -Ashlee

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are both gorgeous photos. I love the way the light illuminates just the edges of the left-hand person's face and body in the second photo. The second photo as a whole sort of hovers in a really interesting place between looking deliberately composed and looking accidental/unplanned; it's almost like a behind-the-scenes snapshot from a film shoot.

    -- Kate

    ReplyDelete
  3. The second photo is so stunning! It reminds me of a wicked Mary Poppins. Very good placement of the flashes.

    -Belkis

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the other comments. The second photo really stands out because it is so dark except for the umbrella.
    -Sara

    ReplyDelete