Sunday, November 7, 2010

Ad recreation



While the point of the original advertisement is to sell the phone, I wound up focusing on trying to recreate the lighting of the shoe, since I thought it offered a more interesting challenge. I was never quite able to get the lighting the way I wanted it to be; I always wound up being able to get either the brighter outlining of the upper edges or the softer, dimmer, but still clear lighting along the lower parts, but never the right balance between the two. This was one of the closer approximations, although the lower-shoe lighting is harder to see in this small version of the photo.

I worked mostly with reflected light, but I only reflected each light source off of one surface. If I ever try to create a shot like this again, I think I'll play around with bouncing the already-reflected light off of a second surface -- maybe something like that would have given me the softer lighting I needed along the bottom of the shoe.

-- Kate

3 comments:

  1. This looks like it was a hard ad to recreate since the lighting is very minimal. It's a good attempt though- the light in your photo almost matches the light in the ad.
    -Sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its a great idea, but I would like to see more of the heel itself exposed more.

    -Wilson

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you did a wonderful job considering the complexity of this lighting situation. Though the lighting isn't exactly the same, we still get the same since of mystery and incitement that the original ad has.
    -Ashlee

    ReplyDelete